Saturday, August 15, 2009

First long day with Steve Timm

 

The second day of my trip and the first night out there, I find myself sleeping at the home of my good friend Steve.
We planned to get up early in the morning (3 AM) but I never imagined myself to wake up to the most “horrendous” piece of music. He blasted the song throughout and to my surprise, when I opened my eye I had to see this !


But I least he compesated that wake up song/dance with a wonderful breakfast

I was just about to leave, when Steve generously offered to do the first couple miles with me. What neither Steve or I knew is that those first couple miles turned into a whole day of riding ending in Boise ID, 1000 kms from his house !!
On the way we had fun, we did mainly the big highways.



The next day, to make up some time, I only took the mayor hwy because I needed to arrive to Las Vegas by Monday morning and I need to speed up a little.
Here a couple impressions of what I have seen.
One of the most wonderful discoveries in my first day of riding in the USA is the sudden change of topography. Leaving WA, a rain forest, it suddenly changed to farm land just outside of one curb. Later, the farmland changed to a semi-arid again...just over a small hill. And it happened again, from the desert of AZ to the salt flat....the change of topography seems to happen abruptly, with little indications...it just happens and now your are in another “world”
The second impression was how big and rich the USA is. With rich I refer to land rich.
When you cross 3 states, you realized by simple observation how much “power hungry” USA is. I crossed numerous (and I really mean numerous) power towers carrying electricity all over the territory.

Big thanks: Thanks Steve for leading my first steps and coming with me. It was a great moral support and I only realized this on later.
Posted by Picasa
free counters